When connecting with an incarcerated loved one over a prison phone call, playing games can be a fun way to stay connected and make the conversation more engaging. Here are some games that can be adapted for phone calls:
- 20 Questions: Think of an object, person, or place, and your loved one has 20 questions to guess what it is. They can only ask yes or no questions.
- Would You Rather: Take turns asking each other “Would you rather” questions, where you have to choose between two options. For example, “Would you rather have the ability to fly or be invisible?”
- Word Association: Start with a word, and then take turns saying words that are related to the previous word. The goal is to keep the chain going without repeating words or taking too long to respond.
- Trivia Quiz: Prepare a list of trivia questions on various topics, and take turns asking each other questions. Keep score and see who gets the most correct answers.
- Two Truths and a Lie: Each person takes turns sharing two truths and one lie about themselves. The other person has to guess which statement is the lie.
- Story Building: Create a story together by taking turns adding a sentence or two at a time. The story can be as creative or silly as you like.
- 20-Questions Challenge: Your loved one thinks of a word, and you have 20 questions to guess what it is. The questions must be answerable with “yes” or “no.”
- Alphabet Game: Choose a category, like animals or cities, and take turns naming items from that category, starting with each letter of the alphabet in order.
- Guess the Song: Hum or sing a few lines from a song, and your loved one has to guess the title and artist. You can also switch roles.
- Riddles and Brain Teasers: Share riddles or brain teasers with each other and take turns trying to solve them.
- Storytelling with Restrictions: Start a story, but add a fun restriction like using words that start with a specific letter or including certain themes or characters.
- Role-Playing: Get creative and act out fictional scenarios or characters through role-playing. It can be humorous or dramatic, depending on your preferences.
- Name That Movie: Describe a scene, plot, or quote from a movie, and see if your loved one can guess the title. You can take turns being the one to describe the movie.
Remember that the goal is to make the phone call enjoyable and interactive while respecting any rules or guidelines set by the correctional facility. These games can help foster a sense of connection and make the conversation more entertaining, even when you’re physically apart.